Sunday, June 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Well, I made it home all in one piece. And now, with just a couple days behind me, it seems like my St. Louis experience was a long time ago. It does feel good to be home. Of course, I was irritated right off the bat. I pulled into the driveway to discover that Butch had "taken" my parking spot. I know that doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but it was raining and due to Butch's new car, we definitely have a few parking issues. Appropriate don't ya' think? To top it off, when he programmed his new car for the garage door opener, the other 5 (yep, we now have 6 cars) quit working.  So, I had to run through the rain to open the garage door and then unload in the rain. I was already preparing my rant for when he got home, when, to my surprise, I discovered a bouquet of flowers with a really sweet note welcoming me home. That settled my dander. Instead of yelling at him when he got home, I greeted him with, "it's a darn good thing you got me flowers because I was going to yell at you!"

We were having a nice conversation and catching up on the news, when Jordan called (it's 6:30 by now). No, "hi Grammy, glad you're home." She starts with, "grammy, can you take me and my friend (sorry about the bad English, but that's how they talk) to the mall?" Their chauffeur had returned. I said "no." She said, "okay, can I talk to grandpa?" Again, I said "no" as he had just driven to Atlanta and back the same day. I knew that he would not be able to say no by himself, so I saved him. He's always been a soft touch for his "girls"--all of them.

A few minutes later, I got a text from Morgan. "Can you take me to Taylor's tomorrow at 11?" My quick (I got a lot of practice in mom's room at the hospital) response, "no can do." Then a little text conversation transpired where we agreed that I would pick her up at 8:45 and drop her at her friends. 

Oh yeah, I'm home....but honestly, I like the fact that the girls feel like they can call us and ask us to drive them around. It would never have occurred to me to call my grandparents---and they lived closer to us than Steph does to me. 

Besides that, I can only stand them for 15 minutes at a time anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I bet the girls are glad you are now a "texter" - that way they don't even have to speak to you to ask for favors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.