Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Electronics Get Me Charged Up-date

You may recall my trials and tribulations when trying to hook up the converter box to my old tv in my scrapbook room that doesn't have cable. Well, the Radio Shack guy that sold me the converter box told me that I would get more than the 2 channels I was currently getting and even more once the digital switch had taken place. I could only get channel 8 (PBS) and channel 2 (ABC). That was really fine with me because even though our other tv's get hundreds of channels, there's never anything good to watch anyway. 

When I finally got the box hooked up, I got 4 stations---2 were PBS and 2 were ABC. I could see that there were others in the higher numbers, but they weren't coming in yet. So now, I'm a happy girl. I'm thinking that when the change takes place, I'll have at least 6 channels. 

Well, guess what? After the change, I only get ONE channel---PBS! I don't even get channel 2 anymore. What will I do without the GMA crew? How else will I get my news? A newspaper, you suggest? Never! I don't have time for that and besides, it makes my fingers all black. I'd rather stay ignorant and rely on my friends to keep me up-to-date on local news.

Not to be deterred after I've already invested so darn much time in this friggin' converter box (not to mention the money---okay I had a good coupon---but it wasn't FREE), I consulted Butch. I was trying to logically figure out what the converter box was supposed to do and what part the "old" tv played. Butch starts talking all kinds of language about signals, ions, electrodes---you get it---foreign. I guess he was having deja' vu of his tv repairman days. Then he says that he needs to hook up a larger antenna on or near the window. Whoa, baby! I don't want any ugly antenna sticking out in my "cute" room. Before he ran off to the store, I stopped him. I just wanted a simple answer to a simple question. Could the problem be the old tv?

With that, Butch goes to his office which he doesn't use---which used to be the exercise room that never saw any exercise---at least it's a guys kind of "cute" room now. He hauls a huge 'nother friggin' "old" tv into my cute room. He hooks it up and voila'---I have channel 2 again. But now I have the stupid converter box and this big, old, honkin, ugly tv that takes up practically my whole table. He didn't really see the problem. 

I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I've ordered myself a new tv via the internet. It's cute, small--15", flat screen, built in dvd player and best of all WHITE---so it goes well with my scrapbook room, junky, white furniture decor.

And the next best thing of all----I don't need the stupid converter box! So much for that time wasted...

2 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! Leave it to dad to "solve" your problem that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised you put so much effort into the converter box in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.