Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Folks 'round here started celebrating yesterday. I drove Steph, Nicky and Mindy to East Nashville to meet up with friends to party at the many St. Patrick's Day festivals going on.
Both of the girls were wearing their green. Do you still get pinched if you don't? Mindy even saw a fellow wearing a St. Cecilia plaid skirt. Here's what she had to say about it:
"You know how I know it's almost St. Patrick's day? Because there are grown men voluntarily wearing the same uniform I was forced to wear in highschool for 4 years. Real talk: this was our uniform skirt."
I have to add, that the girls never wore them this long---even though they were supposed to!

I guess there's something about drinking on a Sunday that just doesn't work---especially since most people have to get up and work on Monday! Still, here in Nashville, they are offering free cab rides until 2 a.m. for those that over-imbibe. I really like free things, but I don't think I'll take advantage of this offer.

Speaking of "free" things---if you have a kindle, there are all kinds of free books available. Connie is reading Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. When I went to buy it, there was another "free" version by the actual woman who was the dressmaker. It's rated 4 stars---totally meets my criteria for me to read a book---at least 4 stars. You can get it here:
Behind the Scenes or, Thirty years a slave, and Four Years in the White House

I'm going to be giving "Operation Organization" a break for awhile. I've got so much going on lately, that cleaning out stuff is going to have to take a back seat. If you continue on your own, be sure to let me know and I'll post your success.

On our "mystery trip" earlier in the week, I came across a few old phones. Since the topic for April's AYM/By the Numbers is an important phone number, I snapped some shots of old phones.




 This is probably the first phone I remember growing up. We had this exact one hanging in the kitchen. That was back when we had a "party line." Sometimes, when you went to make a call, someone else was on it. With our large family, that didn't last long.
 I also saw quite a few unique decorating ideas. Here, they bordered a room with old book pages. I loved it!! It would be especially cute in a library. They're not even completely glued down. They were along the chair rail too. Clever.
 This is a bed made out of old doors. The headboard is one door in the middle and another cut in half for the sides. They even left the hardware on. The footboard is another door laid on its side.

Here's a hall tree made out of doors. Even the bench/storage is a door. The owner of the store was telling us that the people that made this furniture "rescued" all of it from an old Voctorian house that was going to be demolished. They had some really neat furniture.

Later, I'll share my vintage finds---when I get them out and cleaned up!! I just stuck them in the dining room when I got home and that's where they still are. I'm hoping to get to them later today. At least it's on my list!

Happy St. Pat's to you and I wish y'all the luck o' the Irish!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful eclectic post today! Thanks for the book link - I've just clicked over & got it free for my Kindle!!

    I love old phones as my daddy was a telephone man & the ladies' retreat I wrote last year (God Is Calling You) used phone analogies & I put out old phones as props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those phones!

    It looks like you had way more St Patricks Day fun going on than we did. It was a complete washout here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool phones and the beds made from doors are neat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.