Saturday, March 9, 2013

Easter's in the House!

As this crazy, busy weekend begins, I thought I'd whip off a blog entry. I'm starting with decorating for Easter. Since we were having our poker group here last night, I figured it was time.
I love decorating the entry table. Basically, there's really no "decorating" involved. Just pile up a bunch of stuff---and I always have to include books!
 This is my kitchen centerpiece---just a nest full of pretty eggs and a few flowers.

This little vignette features my needlepoint eggs that I did last year. Notice the tiny spools of thread with the eggs in the front of the larger eggs? That's the craft project we're doing today with Steph's friends.

So everything was going along smoothly as I was ready for poker by 4 p.m. Butch and I started our poker group 25 years ago. We meet once a month. The guys play poker, the girls go out to dinner. Since it's Lent, I got meatless pizzas from Papa Murphy's. I made a new cake----from The Cake Doctor.  It's a cookbook with all cakes starting with cake mixes. I didn't have time to really study each recipe, so I decided that I was just going to open the book and whatever cake was there, I was making. Turns out that I picked a Snickerdoodle Cake. All you do is take a white cake mix and add 1 tsp. cinnamon---mix and bake according to the package directions. Make a butter cream frosting and add 1 tsp. of cinnamon to that too. It's good, but didn't really taste like a snickerdoodle. But, hey, it's cake. Enough said.

When I got home, the guys were still playing. I opened up the refrigerator to see this:
Butch forgot to put out the snacks! Actually, I have to take some of the blame because that's what I normally do. But one of the couples arrived 15 minutes early. You know how crucial those last 15 minutes before a party are. I completely forgot to get out the salsa and crab spread. When I asked Butch about it, he said he thought I took it in to the sunroom where we ladies had our before dinner drinks. I felt bad for the guys. A couple of them said they were wondering why the food was so lame! Joking of course. Oh well, it's to Steph's benefit now. I'm bringing it to her house this morning for her friends.
One last thing. I added Jordan's senior portrait to the wall in the entry. Too bad the background on her picture is so dark.

Next report will be about our Cajun dinner. I'll be sure to add a few of the recipes. I'm off to make the Corn and Crab Bisque now. Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.




3 comments:

  1. Your Easter decorations look lovely! I haven't put any out - Easter sure is early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Easter meant spring here ... but we are headed into Fall. I am looking forward to the cooler weather, but I love Spring the best! New life, warmer weather ... it all seems to go together better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see the decorations - spring it on its way. Was thinking I might do some of that - but that would mean moving my dying paperwhites and I'm enjoying the drying petals...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.