Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Here we are 2013. That sure seems a long way from 1952 (my birth year) and 1963. I just finished reading Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly. Boy have times changed. So much of the legwork that had to be done back then is made instantaneous via the internet today. I'm grateful for all the technology that we have access to. All that being said, I would highly recommend this book. It really goes in to detail---much more than we were privy to at the time. I read Killing Lincoln prior to this. I'm glad I did. The author did some comparisons that I found pretty interesting.

The reason that I mention books is that I have so loved my Kindle that I got for Christmas in 2011. It's just the bare bones, no frills variety. I've been totally happy with it. I just add my little book light for night time reading in bed. But the thing I liked the best was creating a category for "books I've read."
Normally, I have no idea how many books I read in a year. I know that it is approximately 2 books a month. I belong to a book club, so besides that monthly book, I have time to read one more. This year, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I read 31 books. That may not seem like a lot to other avid readers (I consider myself to be in that group), but considering how much I have going on, I'm pleased with that number.

Now, I do want to show you some of what I got for Christmas. I think I got the most thoughtful gifts this year.
 Mindy has been very crafty this year. She made me this Valentine's banner for the mantle. The picture that really shows the length didn't turn out. She planning to make one for herself. I told her I'd post it when she does. I'm wondering where she got the supplies. I guess by that I mean, I didn't know she owned a hole punch! Or that she could even find it. Perhaps she actually looked in the drawer I labeled "office supplies" in her laundry room!
 Sandy gave me this beautiful picture frame with burled wood. My favorite is the great picture of the kids she put inside. I needed a new one.This is the picture she used for her Christmas cards. It is really good.
This is also from Mindy. I'm hooked on it already! Even Butch likes it---and he doesn't watch much of anything but sports. We are also enjoying Boardwalk Empire and Madmen. I really like being able to watch several episodes in a row rather than having to wait a week in between.
 Jordan game me this frame made out of old computer keys. She was right on with that. She confessed that she had a little help from Morgan. I do love it. I'm going to put a picture of them in it.
 Victoria picked out this flipflop wall hanging that I already have hanging in the pool bath. Perfect!
 Elizabeth was so excited about her gift. She gave me "ball lights" that float in the pool. Sandy said that one of her friends had them when she was over for a swim last summer. She declared to Sandy that she was getting me them for Christmas. They went ahead and got them then rather than wait. Now I just have to wait until it's pool time to give them a try.
Morgan got me a new candle. I would never have thought of getting a red velvet one, but it smells divine! You can smell it all the way upstairs.
 Mitchell gave me this insulated cup and the best fudge I've ever had. I shared it with the family, but cut off a chunk for myself. I have about 2 or 3 days worth left. It's very rich---pecan, turtle---so good.
 Stephanie gave me a new pair of slippers. I love getting slippers for Christmas. That's all I wear around the house. I kidded her that with the sequins, these would be my "dress" slippers. I think she gave me something else, but I can't remember it. Sorry, Steph.
 Nicky gave me this mug for my tea. I like the fact that it is large. I've used it just about every day since Christmas.
Sandy gave me this updated version of Catch Phrase. It's one of our family favorites. We've done ALL of the questions and categories on the old game. We played it several times throughout the week.

From Butch, I got some new pajamas, Taylor Swift dvd, Justin Bieber dvd, Pink cd, some eye shadow,  another pair of slippers, Pitch Perfect movie (if you are a Gleek, you'll love it), a small atlas (I'm terrible about knowing where things are in the world) and a Kate Spade iPhone case.

All in all, a great Christmas. Everyone liked what I got for them. Only two things---a pair of Toms for Victoria had to be exchanged for a larger size and a Ralph Lauren "hoodie" I got for Butch is being exchanged. That's one of the things I love about my family. They are grateful and seem to love everything I select for them. That makes it so much fun to shop for them. I never feel stressed about their gifts. I will admit, the guys are the hardest. And now that Mitchell is 16 and nearly full grown, he's getting harder too. You just can't find little cute stuff for boys. Girls are easy, a hair bow or pair of earrings for that little something extra. I don't like to do gift cards or cash like most grandparents. I'm sure it will come to that eventually, but for now, as long as they like what I get them, I'm going to keep shopping!

What was your favorite gift this year and why??

2 comments:

  1. A Very Happy New Year to everyone there from everyone here - I hope 2013 has lots of everything you love and a lot more besides

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely set of imaginative gifts - I'm really taken by the computer key picture and the Valentine banner. What great creativity! Wishing you a very happy new year ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.