Thursday, November 1, 2012

CMA Awards

If you're not in to country music, you might just want to skip this post.

I love reporting from Music City during the CMA Awards. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood do a really great job hosting. I thought the jokes were really funny this year---especially the one about Willie Nelson losing all of his awards for "doping." Probably my most favorite Willie Nelson song is "Always on my Mind." Lady Antebellum performed it beautifully. I think they should record it. Actually, I think they should record both the songs they sang. "Crazy" was amazing. The whole tribute was great. Willie Nelson looks about a hundred, but he still has it!

I have to admit, there were quite a few new groups and artists that I'm not all that familiar with. I recognize the songs, but just not the group. That's the thing about iTunes. You download particular songs you like, but don't get as familiar with the artists without having their whole albums. Thompson Square is a case in point. I love Little Big Town's song "Pontoon." Country music is educational too. I learned what "motorboatin'" means!

I have to admit, I haven't really downloaded any country music this year---unless you count Taylor Swift. I do love her new song. Oh wait, I think I did get a couple of songs by Miranda Lambert. She is so cute. I love that she's so comfortable with herself. I love that she and her handsome hubby, Blake Shelton won "Song of the Year". Blake also got "Male Vocalist of the Year" for the 3rd time. I loved his jacket with that window-pane vest, red satin tie that matched the lining of his jacket---with his jeans. Then Miranda Lambert got "Female Vocalist of the Year" for the 3rd time too. That was a really tough category with the likes of Martina McBride, Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. To top it off, Blake won the highest award "Entertainer of the Year." By the time he accepted that award, you could tell he was really "lit"! I'd say Blake and Miranda had one hell of an after party!

Tim McGraw still has it and Faith Hill is still gorgeous. Zac Brown Band rocks, but I don't understand that stocking cap. Eric Church wears one too. I guess this younger generation didn't want to wear cowboy hats. I'm starting to really get in to The Band Perry.

I can't forget to mention heart throb Keith Urban. But I'm a little disappointed in him. He "settled" for way less money than Nicki Minage to be on American Idol. Brad Paisley said "no---not unless you pay me the same as Nicki." I think that by accepting, Keith sent the message that country music isn't as powerful as rock. I love to watch him play his guitar---he really wails it, but I hated his boots. They looked like Herman Munster shoes or some type of laceless boondackers.

Hunter Hayes---winner of the "new country artist of the year" is a real cutie. He looks like he's about 16 years old. I think he will help to appeal to a younger audience---my granddaughter included. Morgan loves county music. Her boyfriend hates it. Good for her that she's her own young woman! She had too much homework tonight, so I've taped the show and she's coming over tomorrow to watch it.

Brad Paisley's new song was awesome. Half way through, he just hurled his guitar. I'm not sure why as they brought out another without missing a beat. Then some choir came out and sang "Dixie" while he was singing his song. It was really good. He's easy on the eyes too.

Scottie McCreary and Shawn Johnson. I get Scottie McCreary, but Shawn Johnson?? That's just doesn't make sense. And it seems downright wrong unless she would present with Little Jimmy Dickens. They are about the same size.


I'm not sure whose idea it was for Vince Gill to sing with Kelly Clarkson, but I think that was a mistake. They sounded good, but Vince looked so OLD!!

My heart still belongs to 4 time "Entertainer of the Year" Kenny Chesney. I just love his voice.


Carrie Underwood had 11 dress changes. Even Brad Paisley changed 6 times---mostly his jacket. He had on a black shirt and jeans most of the time. Carrie's song "Blown Away" was fabulous.

"Until next year, Barbara Eads, reporting from Nashville!"



PS I realize that I have repeatedly said "I love." But sometimes, that's the only way to describe things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.