Monday, March 14, 2011

Just About Back to Normal...

...for me at least---sleeping-wise that is. I'm still not off the prednisone, but have been able to step it down from the high dose I was on. That makes me feel better. Plus, for 2 nights in a row, I've gotten my normal 5-6 hours of sleep. I'm feeling more rested and not quite so hyper. That's a good thing. I was sort of feeling like I was going to wear my body out. Living on speed dial is fun sometimes, but I know it's not good for the body, or spirit for that matter. I felt so emotionally on the edge most of the time---which isn't at all like me. I'm happy to be back to my normal self.

Anyway, Butch and I are meeting my "sibs" in Vegas today. You know me, there was just one little (actually "big") thing that I didn't get done over the weekend. Could have, but decided to slip in a movie with Mindy---Little Red Riding Hood and dinner. We liked it. I don't think I really knew much about that story except for the grandmother's big eyes, ears, teeth.

I woke up normally at 4:30 a.m. this morning and realized that would give me the time I needed to finish that one "hanging over my head" job---TAXES! Took me 3 hours, but I got it all done---just to prepare it for our accountant! If I had to do the math---well, it could never possibly happen. I'd just go to jail and have to admit I'm math challenged. My punishment would be the inmates attacking me with #2 Ticonderogas! I'm obsessively "goal oriented."

Since we've been out-of-town so much, I decided that it would be silly for Margarita to clean a clean house. She has it pretty easy with me. Since it's just the two of us, I only make her clean upstairs about once a month. If the girls are here and the bedrooms are used, then I have her do them. Otherwise, she really only has to work about 3 or 4 hours. I was going to give her the day off all together, but then decided I'd have her do something extra---a job I HATE! Defrosting the freezer.

Since Christmas, we've been eating out of the freezer and pantry---limiting the grocery shopping to fresh fruits, vegetables and perishables. That's been going really well. I think we still could live another 2 or 3 months on my stockpile---I definitely have "multiple" issues. I moved all the food into my kitchen freezer, turned the deep freeze off and started it off for Margarita with the bowls of hot water. When she got here, I told her that all I wanted her to do today was water the plants, defrost the freezer (which was well on its way) and blow the leaves out of the garage---about an hour's worth of work.

It became pretty evident to me that she has never defrosted a freezer. Here's how I do it. Empty freezer, turn it off, put 2 huge bowls of hot water in, close the door, put 2 beach towels rolled up on the floor beneath the door to catch the drips. That's how it was when she arrived. I had even changed out the hot water bowls once.

Here's what Margarita did. Got a smaller bowl, dipped it into the large bowl of now lukewarm water and poured it over the shelves. OMG! What a mess! I said, "I guess you've never defrosted a freezer before." To which she smiled and said, "yes, Miss Barbara." Remember the language barrier? Sooooo, I demonstrated what needed to happen. I took the bowls, emptied them and refilled them with hot water again. I then sent her to do the garage while the steam did its work. I got her a few more beach towels to sop up the mess she had created. She's back working on it now. I'm not going back in there. I'll let her figure it out. Good thing I only do this once a year.

Now I'm off to deliver taxes and get money to lose. I guess that's not really a good attitude to have when going to Las Vegas. I'm in it for the shows. Donnie and Marie tomorrow night, Criss Angel with Cirque de Soleil on Wednesday. If they had matinees, I'd see a few more. Segway tomorrow too.

I'm sure I'll have another list of family observations later this week...until then...

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading your blog, I believe I tell u this everytime I respond, Anyway your amazing and I hope you all have a good time in Vegas and get back some of the money I deposited out there over the years. I was in Florida last week 70's and now today back home and it was snowing when I woke today and didn't stop until about 2:30 this afternoon. Tell everyone Hi for me. lovu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.