Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Handmade Christmas

I just love handmade things. Years ago, I went on a Christmas home tour in Florissant, MO. The homes were filled with gorgeous hand made things. I remember thinking that some day, my house would be filled with handmade things too. And it finally is. Here are a few pictures of my needlework. All are 3 diemensional. No one better dare sit on those pillows!!














Handmade things from other people are especially precious to me. Steph made this tree for me a few years ago. It has tiny photo ornaments on it and is just plain adorable in every way.


The tree with the snowflakes are made with vintage buttons, yo yo's taken from an old quilt and old milkcaps. I used these as my "gifts" to my day group friends last year.

The picture with the Christmas pins is anidea I got from Mary Englebreit a while back. I had planned to make many more as gifts, but never got around to it. Someday....

The tree jammed with ornaments is the one I made last year with Connie, Amanda and Stephanie.

The handmade angel and Nativity scene are from Morgan. There is just something so sweet and precious in its imperfection.

The counted cross stitch is from Sandy---done over 10 years ago. It is so involved, I still can't believe she gave it to me. Truly a treasure.


The button trees are as much fun to look at as it was to make them. Just styrofoam cones and colored pins---and of course buttons. Now you know why I have to wash mine.

And lastly, a few things that my mom made. I was just remarking to Jeanne that all of a sudden, these
that we so took for granted have taken on a whole different meaning.

I've referred to the yarn covered hangers before---I had yellow ones, while growing up to match my room.

Mom made all of us girls the granny square Christmas tree skirt about 25 years ago. I haven't used it for at least 20 years as I have one I made myself that I like. This year, I'm using mom's. When Butch saw it, he said, "oh, this is that extra tree skirt---we should give it to Mindy (she's using a towel)." I got all haughty and indignant and said, "NO, my mom made that!"

See what I mean, "things" she made have taken on a whole new specialness! I miss her.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.