Friday, November 20, 2009

A Little Friendly Family Competition

When we are together, there is no shortage of games. I played a dvd version of Disney Bingo with the little girls yesterday. Elizabeth won. Today it was Pretty Pretty Princess---this time I won.

Then it was on to Wii bowling. We all played with Elizabeth and Victoria. Victoria is pretty darn good---doesn't even really try and still does well. After 2 games, the girls were done, so Butch and I took on Sandy and Greg. I haven't lost my bowling "touch". We beat them 2 out of 3 games, so they owe us 2 bucks. Did I mention that we don't play anything without a little cash riding on it.

I knew it was coming and the time has finally arrived. Mitchell can beat his grammy at ping pong. I can't say that I'm too happy about that as I've always taken pride in my ping pong skills! He beat me 2 games today. I played Sandy tonight and beat her 2 out of 3 games. We started another round before we were interrupted and each have one game. We'll finish it off tomorrow. I guess I'd be better if I played every day! Sandy says that they do play just about every day---and Mitchell plays with his friends all the time. The boys have also added an aspect that I guess only boys would think up. If you lose, you have to raise your shirt and let the winner "zap" you with the ping pong ball. The boys end up with welts on their backs. Fun, huh? Thank God Mitchell didn't ask me to raise my shirt! I have enough welts on my own with my hives---a zap from a ping pong ball would definitely set off an attack!

We did a little ski jumping on the Wii. After watching everybody several times, I jumped the furthest on my first jump. Butch was "bummed". He said, "no, way"! It's about speed and balance and as everyone knows, I do everything fast---and my balance isn't all that bad either. I might have done the best, but my baby toe paid for it! (Oh, and Mitchell's new bed is a killer. I nearly broke the other baby toe the first night!).

Butch and Greg are playing golf now. The Wii is pretty darn amazing. I don't understand how it knows exactly what you are doing. Like on the ski jumping, if you lose your balance, the skier "wobbles" too---exactly like you are. It's pretty funny. 

I may not have been on the treadmill since I've been here, but I'm definitely getting my exercise---which I need due to Sandy's cooking. She's a great cook and loves to try new recipes when we visit. I'll be coming home with a couple new ones. Greg also cooks. I consider them to be gourmet cooks. I cook pretty plain food (good, but plain and the same old things) while they do all kinds of things with marinades, stuffings, toppings, wine, spices, and sauces. I always look forward to the food.

You know how Butch loves everything about money---making it, saving it, finding it, winning it, etc. Well, we went to Steak and Shake for lunch. He didn't even know until it came time to pay that we were there during "happy hour" and all the shakes were half price. He said that had he known, he would have enjoyed his mocha shake even more! 

After lunch, we did a little geo-caching. It was pretty cloudy today, so the gps was bouncing all over the place. Still, we made several "finds". Nothing all that spectacular, but we did learn that Portage is the celery capitol of the world.

Saturday was a pretty, sunny day. Greg, Butch and the kids went geo-caching while Sandy and I went for manicures and a little Christmas shopping. We all got back about 3 p.m. For the next hour and a half, we watched Notre Dame football (a continuing disappointment for the fans), got dinner started (something to look forward to) and took naps (much needed after the late night). Around 4:30, The adults, plus Elizabeth went back out to find a couple more caches before dark. 

Sandy made crab legs for dinner. She relayed the story that Elizabeth brought the snack bag home for her class. She told Sandy that she wanted to bring crab legs! Sandy convinced her that fruit snacks and crackers would be more appropriate (and cheaper). That girl has expensive taste!

After dinner, the games continued---more Wii bowling, jarts, bean bag, darts, skee ball, hoops, horseshoes, ping pong, tinkertoys and books. It's 11 p.m. and I'm plum worn out! 

We plan to do another 7 or 8 caches tomorrow and breakfast before we leave for the airport. I'm so glad that Christmas is right around the corner. That makes it easier to leave knowing that we'll be together again very soon. We always have a good time at the Lapps' house. 

Next week, it 's pretty much nothing but work...but by this time next Saturday night, our house will be all decked out for Christmas. I dread it, but love it when it's done. At least I've gotten Butch to promise that he'll get out of the house so I can put on my Christmas music and have hours to myself to do the decorating.

Happy Thanksgiving to all....


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you all had a great time...wish we were there, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.