Saturday, October 24, 2009

Halloween is in the HOUSE!

Hal (as in "Halloween") and Jack (as in "Jack-o-lantern") greet you as you enter the house. When I was decorating, Butch said, "I thought you hated Halloween." He's right, I always did hate Halloween. I thought about the reasons why I no longer find that haunted night loathesome:
1. I don't have to think up costumes. I used to break out in a cold sweat---I don't sew and store-bought costumes were tacky. 2. I didn't have extra money to spend on decorations--now I do. 3. Now I'm creating spooky memories for my grandkids! Oh, the things you do for them...














I haven't named my witch yet---Wendy is just too predictable. Notice my hand-made pumpkins---well I didn't actually make them. They are paper mache' that I painted, stenciled and decorated.



How do you like my adopted creepy relatives? Some of them look familiar. I got the glittery skull from Michaels. They have all their Halloween stuff on sale now.

I was so excited to find these old apothecary bottles at an antique mall complete with vintage poison labels. The perfect addition to the Halloween decor.

Just a few things I've made. The Halloween banner was going to be the project for our Cousin's Crop, but I couldn't get enough of the base banners. Next year for sure. 
Connie is coveting my witch's hat, so I'm going to put her name on it. She has "dibs" on a piece of my needlework already.


















And finally, the latest addition to our household---Bernard the Butler! He moves and interacts with the skull on the plate that also talks and lights up. His eyes are incredible. A bargain for $49.99 at Walgreen's. I'll bet he's half price on Halloween. At least go see him.

So what are you all doing for Halloween? I'm going to the theater with friends to see "Little House on the Prairie" starring Melissa Gilbert as "Ma". Whoopee---part of our season tickets. Butch will handle the trick-or-treaters---all 12 of them.

Share some of your decorations with me!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mom, you sure have "stepped it up" with Halloween this year!! I LOVE all your decorations, and they're displayed so well too! I went to get the "butler" at Walgreens, but Elizabeth freaked out so I had to pass. I really like it so I'm thinking of getting it anyway and just hanging on to it for the future...she won't always be scared of it, and it's so darn fun! My entry table is about the only place that I have any Halloween decorations. I do have a few Fall things strategically placed here and there in my house that look nice though. I'm thinking of hitting Hobby Lobby this week to see if they have any Halloween decorations left. They should be on sale now if they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have all that many halloween/fall decorations so it's fun putting them out instead of being overwhelming like the Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.