Sunday, January 25, 2009

NOLA is Alive and Well!

Went to New Orleans this week for just a day.  Mindy only has one day off a week, so it was a quick visit.  It started off just fine.  Since I'm an early bird, I always take the first flight. When I was going through security, the fellow ahead of me gave me my first chuckle of the day.  He was in his mid-40's or so, nice looking, a well-dressed, businessman.  The security checker, stopped at his bag.  They pulled out his toothbrush and said, "oh, it's your battery in your toothbrush." To which he responded, "what?" while looking at his toothbrush, then said, "hmmm, I didn't know it was battery operated."  Okay, not one to butt out, I had to jump in here and say, "so you didn't notice that it was heavy or had an on-off button? Or that the 12 buck cost might be a tip-off?" He laughed and said that his wife just gave it to him and he'd already been using it for 4 months.  So I said, "Well, I guess your teeth will be a whole lot cleaner tomorrow!"  We both laughed and told each other to have a good one.  Nice start.

Mindy picked me up. When I went to throw my bag in the backseat, her car was completely loaded with crap, including the old battery that she just had to replace.  I asked her if she planned to tote that around for the next 5 years as I spied the bags that were supposed to go to Good Will last JUNE when I helped her move.  She apologized that she didn't get a chance to have the outside of her car washed.  I told her that the outside was the least of her car problems.  Ahhh, Mindy---nothing new there.

Our first stop was Stanley's---one of the two restaurants that Scott Boswell Enterprises owns---and where Mindy's "office" is located (I say that tongue-in-cheek as it's the office for all SBE employees).  We had breakfast there.  It's a 30-40's style diner---very classy (fresh flowers, marble topped tables), located on Jackson Square.  I had the Eggs Stanley.  They were the best eggs benedict that I've ever had---I think it was the fried oysters that put it over the top.  While we were eating, one of the "lesser" managers came over to Mindy to tell her that there was a problem with the computer and what should they do.  Mindy quickly told them how to fix it. I could tell she was feeling important as she relayed a story about a problem the previous day with the printer in the office.  No one, not the director of operations, various people, nor the owner could fix it.  They told her to return it and get a new one.  Well, she fixed it---and everyone was impressed.  Now I know the reason for her title of Director of Internal Affairs---basically, if you have a problem of any kind, it's "ask Mindy".  Works for her (and us).

On the way to Mindy's apartment, she drove through the car wash to use the wash she bought when she got gas and didn't have time to get the wash (who does that)? She didn't have the receipt but had memorized the code.  She does the same thing with airline confirmation numbers---just memorizes them and has no physical back-up.  Makes me a nervous wreck.

We stopped for manicures---more for me than her, but still fun.

We went to her apartment to wait for the dryer repairman.  Her dryer has been broken for months.  I insisted she set it up for when I was in town because she keeps putting things off.  I realize she doesn't have much time as she works 12-14 hour days with only 1 day off a week---when she usually sleeps the whole day.

I wasn't going to get a chance to meet her boyfriend, but I knew I liked him right away when he gave Mindy an alarm clock for Christmas. Remember she missed her flight because her cell phone battery died in the middle of the night? She told Mike she didn't need the clock as she uses her phone.  He said, "Mindy, ADULTS use alarm clocks!" Loved that! He also lectures her just like we do: "if you would just grab a few things out of your car each time you go home, it would be empty!" She said, "yeah, my dad said the same thing." Last week, she said that he made a comment about her dark nail polish.  She set him straight right away and told him that under no uncertain terms was he allowed to make fashion statements---compliments only are allowed. And he's still around....(could be for her parking card too---we Eads girls do love our parking passes).

The dryer needs parts, so we did some wash and then draped it all around to dry.  We then went to the movie and saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop.  Very funny---we love Kevin James.  Another thing I noticed is that movies are cheap in New Orleans---$25.00 for both of us, popcorn and drinks. 

We went back to Mindy's apartment to freshen up before dinner and to "drape" another load. On the way, she drove me by the house near Commander's Palace where Benjamin Button was filmed---right across the street from the attorney she babysat for with 2 little girls that were in the movie.

We had 7 p.m. dinner reservations at Stella's---SBE's flagship restaurant opened about 8 years ago in the French Quarter---4 blocks from Stanley's. The names were taken from Streetcar Named Desire which was filmed in New Orleans. I need to rent that sometime.  I don't know anything about that story. Anyway, back to the food. OMG---and I mean Oh, My, Gosh! Unbelievable! Could possibly be the best food I've ever put in my mouth! The restaurant itself was very quaint and intimate with several tall, thin French doors lining one wall with the original vintage glass, fireplace in the corner, and a lit garden outside with lush flowers.  The whole place was just gorgeous.  The silverware and crystal sparkled.  When I mentioned it to Mindy, she said that Chef was all about the details.  Each piece of silverware and crystal is hand washed and polished.  The actual dishes were so fancy and unique.  Mindy told me about the plate used if you order the dessert sampler.  It's a large limoges plate---$250 each (the plate, not the desserts). We had way too much food, but every bit of it was delicious. The squash soup was amazing---pureed squash, sweet potatoes, scallions, cream, bacon, and---are you ready for this---chocolate!  Who would have thought to put chocolate in soup?  It was incredible.  Okay, enough about the food. The cost was astronomical, but luckily, Mindy gets a 50% discount and movies are cheap, so that almost makes up for it. Stella's has just jumped to the top of the list of my favorite restaurants.  I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it.

We got home about 9:30 and decided to hit the sack.  Mindy got ready for bed first.  It was only 9:45 when I got in bed and she was already sound asleep.  I read for 45 minutes.  During that time, her phone (which was on the nightstand right next to her ear) went off 6 times and she never even heard it.  The poor girl is absolutely exhausted.  That worries me. Even though I remind myself that she's young and can handle it, I do worry about her health.  But I guess for Mindy, it's not much different than college---late nights partying and pulling all-nighters to do papers and studying because she's such a procrastinator. She'll be okay. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.