Friday, October 17, 2008

Teenagers..

...are pretty much the same as I remember---except for the permanently attached phone/iPod to their head.  The girls were off school today.  We left the house at 8:30 a.m. for doctor's appointments and got home about noon.  We watched a movie together, but they pretty much laid around for the afternoon.

When my girls were teens, plans were never made until the last minute and even then, they changed 13 times before we left the house.  The same is true with teens of today---except, with the phones, the plans can change on the fly.

Here's how it went down:
I asked the girls what their plans were for the day.  Jordan said that she was probably going to the mall with her friend.  Morgan didn't know what she was doing.  They both had plans to go to the football game tonight at Greer Stadium---a Father Ryan game (a good distance from the house).

At 3:20 p.m. Morgan asked me if I'd take her to their house so she could get her stuff.  She was going to the mall with Jordan.  Why she didn't bring her stuff with her, I don't know.  After J called her friend, they got into a huge fight because J didn't want to wait so she "dis-invited" M. We jumped in the car, I told J to call her friend and tell her we'd pick her up right then.  I made her promise to be nice to M.  I dropped J and friend at the mall even though it was way out of the way.  I then took M by her house to get her stuff.  Then it was back to drop her at the mall. Realizing that they would have to carry their Vera Bradley duffels around the mall, I agreed to drop them off at the friend's house where they would be getting ready for the evening.  

From then on, the ball was in their mom's court.  I was finished for the day.

All this running around took me nearly 2 hours.  I left the house at 3:30 and got back home at 5:20---just enough time to change my clothes and meet Butch at the Club for dinner.  If I hadn't had to run out of the house unexpectedly at 3:30, I would have been ready and driven straight to the club, thus saving me another 15 minutes and the gas too.  With the gas I have left, I'll never make it to Thursday!

However, I had the enjoyment of yelling at teenagers again.  I told them that this was the last time I would be involved in last minute plans that were not well thought out---and they had better be prepared with their stuff too.  I'd forgotten how much fun yelling at teenagers was!!  I really had them over a barrell.  It's about the only time I don't get any smart alecky remarks and rolling eyes.  They know I would turn the car around and they'd be going no where.  Then I felt bad and gave them each 20 bucks to spend!

2 comments:

  1. And the plans still changed three or four times before they both finally decided to spend the night with J's friend! Exasperation! I am just so happy that you were available to do all that for them on their day off. Thanks, mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.