Friday, October 12, 2007

Househunting

Well, I guess it's official---we're actually househunting. Our realtor has been sending us listings for a couple neighborhoods since spring, so technically, I guess we've been househunting for several months. But today is the first day I actually went to look at some. Crazy, since I'm still in the midst of redecorating this house---fabric ordered, window treatments being made, custom rug in the works, etc.

Like everything else I do, I look at houses fast. (I did have a talk with myself this morning before leaving to take it slow so as not to fall down and make a fool of myself)! We saw 6 houses in 3 neighborhoods in 1 1/2 hours (only went in 4 of them). Since I love my current house, the standard has been set---must have white cabinets and moldings, proper "brown" hardwood floors, 10 ft. ceilings, open foyer, big dining room and pool. White appliances are pretty much a reach, but I just finally have all white in my kitchen and love them. Butch wants---well, never mind, doesn't matter as you know the saying "mama ain't happy...".

Found one! Butch happened to come home early today, so I was able to get our realtor to show it to us again. When we pulled up, a woodpecker was pecking the heck out of the decorative wood above the front door. When I saw the house this morning, I noticed this goofy owl hanging from a tree and was told that it was to scare woodpeckers away. Wouldn't you know that pesky little pecker would make his appearance in front of Butch. Apparently, the "critter ridder" (hey, Bridge, remember him?), is coming tomorrow to either capture him or kill him.

About this house---have been intrigued by it for a few weeks now. It's bigger than I really want (which is why I've never asked to see it), but it's really easy to justify it by all the advantages---all of our girls and their families live out-of-town, so we will always have a houseful when they're home and... it would help to ease our "tax" problem. Still, there are a few things we would have to give up, fireplaces, central vac, Butch's workroom and office. The pool and decking are beautiful but need pretty much work. After all of my leak problems this year, I'm not sure I want another "old" pool.

We're not ruling it out, but we're in no rush either. And, the thought of actually moving is pretty overwhelming. I really still want a condo in St. Louis for when we retire, but I have to work on Butch longer for that. Am past using the methods that really worked in the past---if ya' know what I mean!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting!! Only the first day looking and you've already found something...and in 11/2 hours, no less! Where is the house, by the way? I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a buyer's market - you should get your pick at bargain prices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.