Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...magazines.

I almost decided to post this on my "What I buy Wednesdays" meme under "What I Don't Buy Wednesdays"---but I have a lot of thoughts about magazines so decided to share them.

I don't really like magazines anymore. They are nothing but ads. Recently, someone said to me, "not People magazine."
This one caught my eye. You know I love the royals. The fact that I got it for free is really the only reason I "read" it. Still, it is just about nothing but ads. I decided to count them. The magazine had 152 pages. 75 of them were ads---not little ads, but the entire page! That's just about half of all the pages. If that's not a lot of ads, I don't know what is!

Believe me, I've had my share of magazines through the years. After all, mom sold magazines after dad died in 1967. She earned enough money from that and other odd jobs to be able to stay home with us---she didn't want to leave teenagers unsupervised!

I've bought magazines when the kids, kids of friends and various nieces and nephews sold them through school. I've had my share. I've had every genre of magazine. But when my subscriptions expired, I let them all go. I think I still have one left---Better Homes and Gardens. But that's it. I don't even read it. I'm just not interested in magazines any more. Too darn many ads and not enough quality articles.

I did find this ad in that People magazine interesting.
 $265---Oh my gosh!
I paid $65.00 for my plate. Then I realized, the above ad was for a set of 2 cups and (they refer to them as saucers but they aren't) dessert plates. I guess that's a fair price. It is a beautiful plate.

Anyway, back to the magazine. I'm done with them. I get my enjoyment from reading blogs these days and I can barely keep up with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.