Thursday, December 6, 2012

There's Something About Gingerbread Houses

that makes Christmas special. While we were at the Grove Park Inn, we got to see the National Gingerbread competition. It is unbelievable what people can do with gingerbread and frosting.








 I was so tempted to buy a few of these gingerbread houses from the gift shop---ceramic or composite---something that lasts. They were pretty pricey, but were very detailed.
 More cute things to buy---and lots of gingerbread people and little details. I'm sort of regretting that I didn't go ahead and get a couple. Of course, another thing that held me back is that I do not have a single place to put another Christmas decoration in my house. I would have to get rid of some other things I love. Plus, I had several cute gingerbread houses that I got rid of last year---i just got tired of them.

 This was clever. I don't watch "The Chew" so I am not familiar with these people, but the detail was great.
 I think this was my favorite. This one revolved. When it turned, you got a glimpse of the inside.
This was inside. The wise men and a camel. Incredible detail. 
 I don't really understand how they make this stuff. I can't imagine how much time it must take to created these works of art. The competition is categorized by children, teens and adults. All of the categories had incredible entries.
 I have to admit, due to my love of the Beatles, I liked this one too.

This was another favorite---Dickens Village. I just can't get over how they make cookies and frosting look like wood, stone, leather, paper, you name it.

I've always been fascinated by gingerbread exhibits. I have never made a gingerbread house or gingerbread men. My sister-in-law, Chris used to make them. They were gorgeous. She made one for me about 20 years ago. I kept the house for about 3 years, but it finally didn't hold up in the attic. She surprised me with a box of her "little guys" last year. They were so cute---and tasty. Maybe I'll get some this year (hint, hint).

Do any of you make gingerbread houses? If so, send me some pictures and I'll feature them here!!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! we have made houses a couple of times, from kits we bought in TK Maxx. But this is gingerbread on a whole different level. They look like dolls houses and gingerbread and dollshouses together is an exciting match as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are lovely - I've made some with the kids, did it for several years and then it was dropped. We used Wilton cutters. Hmm, wonder where those photos are now?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.