Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Guest Post

Hey All,
I was invited to guest post over at High in the Sky.

Here is a recent layout I did for the TSRCC challenge about my internet friend, Sian at High in the Sky.

"The Internet is a Magical Thing!"












The journaling reads:


It’s no secret that I am “smitten with Britain.” Little did I know that the Internet would be responsible for connecting me with a Brit! I met Sian through her blog “High in the Sky” about a year ago. I have had so much fun catching a glimpse into the everyday life of my new friend. Although it is unlikely that we will ever actually meet in person, it’s not impossible. Who knows where our travels may take us. Either which way, I get to know her a little better with each blog post.

Recently she mentioned her Christmas pudding in one of her posts. That led to an email discussion about the ingredients that I did not understand. I had never heard of vegetable suet (which is Crisco here), sultanas (which are golden raisins) and “grease proof paper” (which is parchment paper). I’m still not sure what “mixed spice” and “mixed peel” are. They say “self-raising”, we say “self-rising”. Whereas we “measure” our cups and ounces, they “weigh” theirs.  (Not to mention---minding your “P’s” and “Q’s”---which referred to keeping track of the “pints and quarts” you drank in the olden days of English pubs). We say, “pour” they say “tip”.

It has been so much fun learning the different ways we refer to things. Somehow, the way the British speak, sounds so much more refined. Regardless of how we say stuff, none of this “learnin’” (said in a southern twang) would have been possible without the Internet. It is truly a “magical thing.”

7 comments:

  1. So enjoyed reading your post over on Sian's blog this morning. It's fun reading how scrapbooking has affected us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! I'm really enjoying this series. It's so much fun to hear how everyone started this passionate hobby of ours.

      Delete
  2. :o) And instead of "learnin" they say "learnt."

    Hi Barbara ~ It's nice to meet you. I have just come from Sian's blog where I enjoyed reading about how you became a scrapbook junkie. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely page ... I can see you like two pagers, and fitting a lot in - one of my favourite sorts of scrapbooking. It was lovely to read over at Sian's how you made your way into scrapbooking almost unintentionally :). Lovely to meet someone else who values the everyday recording of events and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Barbara - another one popping across to say hi and how lovely it is to have read your post. The internet is a great way of connecting isn't it, and i love your idea of an internet friend layout.

    We had our first trip to the US (Florida) this year and the boys found lots of words very different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post over at Sian's - just getting around to reading blogs. Something I've been promising myself for the last two weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This feels like a Christmas present! I've been looking forward to coming over and checking this out and I can only apologise profusely for my lateness. My internet disappeared at the wrong moment and then a series of family events conspired to keep me away from the computer. Barbara, I have really enjoyed getting to know you this year and this page is such a special celebration of that. Thank you! and thank you for the fun guest post - I know it was much enjoyed by all.

    ..and you never know, we may meet some day. Let's hope so.Your part of the country is on my Bucket List!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.