Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mean Girls

That's what ALL teenage girls are! Ahhh, I remember it well...

On Monday, I picked the girls up after school. I'm in a carpool now and I already hate it---even if it keeps me from having to drive every day. I need to remind myself to look on the bright side---I'm saving $480 a month on extended care fees. Still, it's an intrusion in my life. Don't get me wrong, I haven't even met the lady that is sharing this duty with me. And, she's had to drive a whole lot more to make up for my out-of-town days which continue for the next two weeks, so I really shouldn't complain.  Anyway, back to the story...

This past week was Freshman/Senior week at St. Cecilia Academy (yes, that's right, Jordan is a freshman---it gave me a chill seeing her come down those steps in the same uniform that her mother and aunts wore---where has the time gone?). All 4 girls got in the car---Jordan and friend Megan and Morgan with friend Julia. Immediately, the 2 freshmen started talking about how "lame" their seniors were---they didn't decorate their lockers very much, hadn't sent them notes, nor given them very good "gifts". After listening to comments like, "my senior must have no friends or she'd know what to do", "my senior is probably ugly, that's why she has no friends", "when it's my turn, I'm not going to spend my money", "no way is she going to be my mentor", and on and on. It was like deja vu---I remember it so well with Mindy and her friends (I don't recall that there was a Freshman/Senior week with Sandy and Steph). I asked Jordan what she got. She got a pair of blue socks that said "sock-it-to-me". Hmmm, sounds like a vintage find at the Good Will Store. Of course, I didn't say that because I'm not a mean teenager, but I did feel her pain! What I said instead, "well, maybe she can't afford much." To which she responded, "well, it doesn't cost anything to write a note!" Touche'. Anyway, I listened to the rest of their inane conversation the rest of the way home---criticizing everybody and everything. 

They're all the same---teenage girls. I remember being the same way. And if I'm really honest with myself, I guess I still can be "mean." Maybe just not as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.