Sunday, December 16, 2007

Escape

That's what Sidney, my little turtle did today. How could he not be happy in a large tank with plenty of room to swim, basking under the florescent lights of my desk, while feasting on crickets and shrimp? Not to mention frolicking with Sheldon. I think he planned his escape carefully. He knows that Butch cleans out their tank every weekend. While he lets the water reach room temperature, he leaves Sidney and Sheldon in a bowl. Somehow, Sidney escaped. How do I know that it was Sidney that escaped? He's the feisty one and is always into mischief---eats most of the food too which now makes me realize he was building up his strength to make a break. Anyway, the bowl was on my desk, but still it's about a 3 ft. drop to the floor. I didn't see any sheets tied together or rope, so can only figure he jumped! That little sucker can really move. No telling when it happened, but we tore the house apart looking for him. We can't find him. Butch thought the fall should have killed him, but apparently didn't. Poor Sidney, he must have thought he was escaping from Alcatraz but instead of a sheer rock cliff, it was slick cabinetry with no place to grab hold. Well, little guy, enjoy your freedom! I just hope you don't start "stinking" in time for Christmas. Sad. Really.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you couldn't find him...he couldn't have gone far. Maybe you could set a trap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried putting out saucers of water all day and night. I don't know how long water turtles can live without water. I think he's under the refrigerator, but without sliding it out we can't tell. Butch thinks he probably cracked his shell in the "jump" and crawled off to die. Sad. Really!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.