Sunday, January 31, 2010

Butch is Retiring!


He's going to have way more time for this:

Butch is retiring! The fact is, when you cut through all the "crap" of the press release, he was "let go". But we don't feel sad---in fact, it's quite a relief. It's a happy day! He's been unhappy for the past two years and does not like the direction the new owners want to take the company which is a "slice and dice" approach. If he'd quit---which he felt like doing many times (and even had my encouragement on that), he'd have lost out on his severance pay. This way, he gets to retire and they have to pay him for a long time.

Anyway, yesterday was the first day of the rest of our lives! That's exactly how it feels for Butch. He said after his meeting in New York, he went back to his office (he had one there too), and started looking at all the piles, urgent decisions, emails that needed answering and work that needed doing. He said it was a great feeling to scoop it all in the trash---in his words---"not my problem!" He said the sense of relief was so freeing.

Butch says:
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun. (The jury is still out on that. I am seriously thinking this house isn't big enough)!
*His work schedule will no longer impact family time or vacations.
*We can take day trips to geo-cache (you saw my calendar, when can I work that in?).
*He can play golf as much as he wants and plans to take some lessons.
*We can take trips where it's warm so he can play golf and geo-cache (yeah, check my calendar)
*He might go back to school for his MBA---just for fun and the sense of accomplishment.
*He's going to set up an LLC---a company so he can do some consulting.
*He might buy a business.
*He might do some guest lecturing on the college level in their business programs.

I told him I would not be able to stand it if the tv was on all day. I'm a music person and having the tv on all weekend drives me crazy. He said he won't have time to watch tv all day as he'll be busy keeping up with all his new-found activities and household chores (does this mean I have to get rid of Rankin the handyman, Sara and Missy the garden girls, Ted the pool boy, Aaron the arborist, Robert the lawn boy, John the boxwood sprayer, Jim and Bob the painters, Craig the sprinkler man, can't remember their names---window washers, Mason the mason (appropriate name), John the chandelier cleaner, Culligan man, Jason the carpet cleaner, Rick the exterminator, Jeff the plumber and whoever those electronic guys are that come at least 3 times a year to deal with our tv issues?---hey, I love these people---I tend to develop a relationship with everyone that works here---not to mention Randy, my UPS guy). He better not think about taking over Margarita's job---I simply can't live without her---she cleans better than I do.


Barb says:
Of course, all I can think of is how this will impact ME.
*No more valet parking at the airport.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*No more parking attendant meeting me downtown while literally "holding" a parking place for me.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*No more free valet parking at the theater.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*No more free parking for the girls either.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*Butch could learn how to play bridge---not with me---that would never work---but he would love it and has good card sense.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*I can delegate stuff to him like the taxes.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*He can plant a garden or pick up the farmer's basket.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*He can take over the grocery shopping. We're only 3 hours into it and he's already driving me nuts. I made some party mix today. He asked me if I used the "good" nuts---meaning the $10.00 ones from Sam's versus the 2/$5.00 ones from Walgreen's. When I said yes, he said, "Barb, remember, I'm unemployed." To that I answered, "okay so in 3 hours you've gone from retired to unemployed?"
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*He can help with driving the girls around---and just when I no longer have carpool responsibilities.
*Togetherness is going to be so much fun.
*I'm going to have to get him cable upstairs in his office. He says we can stay up late every night watching tv! I kinda like the routine we've had going for a long time---he goes to bed at 9 and I get the tv!
*And did I mention that togetherness is going to be so much fun?

He woke up this morning all cheerful---and he is definitely NOT a morning person---said he slept like a baby! Then he said---and this is really scary---"when are we going up to your scrapbook room---I think I'll take up scrapbooking!" Oh---My---God---HELP ME!

This afternoon I asked him if he wanted to play Scrabble---now with all this togetherness time. Nothing's changed there, he still won't play Scrabble with me.

All joking aside, I'm really excited for us. He's worked so hard from the beginning of our marriage---first working and going to school for 10 years and then building his career for the next 30. I'm so proud of him and the life he's provided for us. He deserves this break. Heck I've been retired my whole life (well, except for the 25 years I was a full-time volunteer)! Oh---my life---it is a-changing! But I will miss that free parking.




2 comments:

  1. Now that you and Dad will have so much free time together, and he wants to stay up late and watch tv with you, I'll give you my "Madmen", "The Office", "Nip/Tuck", and "Everybody Hates Chris" DVDs. That should keep you busy for a while! And now we know what to get Dad for gifts now...DVDs, books, games, etc. I love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was odd when I talked to you this morning that you & Butch went to the dentist together! Now that I've read your blog, I get it. I'm so happy that he can relax - I'm sure it's a great feeling for him not to have that stress anymore and I bet you can pencil him in on your calendar!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.