Sunday, August 24, 2008

Another Busy Week

I guess all my weeks are busy these days---since Steph and the girls have been here. I haven't cooked this much since---well, since two weeks ago when the whole family was here---or when Mindy was home with her friends and requested 4 meals that they were only here for 2 meals to eat!!! That girl does love her mama's cookin'! But truth be told, most of the recipes are Connie's.

To some of my family members that have not heard the news, Steph and the girls are back in Nashville. To make a very long story short, Bryan, Steph's husband, told her 3 days before our family vacation that the "blended family" thing was not going to work and he wanted a divorce. For Steph, it came out of the blue. Sure, she knew there were issues, but nothing she considered a "deal" breaker. Anyway, Butch and I are happy to have them back. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity as we got everything set for school (uniforms, school shoes, summer reading and workbooks). The girls will go back to Overbrook and are in the 7th & 8th grades. They picked right back up with their friends---as if they'd never left---and I've got the messy house to prove it. Having teenagers in the house again has been quite an adjustment for us---the late hours, cooking at midnight (them, not me), friends spending the night, all the lights left on, the toilet flushing over our heads at 2 a.m. and the laundry---not even going there.

We've bought them a house (we close on Friday). Later, we'll get it transferred to Steph's name. She is going to accept a job on Monday at HCA where she worked before she left---she came back from Kohler with a stronger resume, so she has qualified for a better job and more money to boot. The actual move itself hasn't happened yet and we don't really know when it will. Steph will be blogging about that experience soon---too crazy. We had hoped to get them settled over Labor Day weekend, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Still, with all the stuff they have here, we'll have plenty to keep us busy.

We've been shopping fools---furniture, bedding, window treatments, etc. We went to the flea market this weekend and "snagged" two oval tables that we're going to use as bedside tables in Steph's room. They are old (probably 1950's and have been spray painted black. They're really cool. They were asking $110 for the pair. The guy told me they were from Lammert's. Not knowing furniture brands, that meant nothing to me. I offered $80. He then opened the drawer to show me the label. They were from Lammert's in St. Louis! Of course, I knew that store---long St. Louis tradition---just didn't expect to see that name at a flea market in Nashville, TN! I knew it was a sign. We got them for $85---great bargain. We also picked up a magazine rack and a few other little things. Oh, and I bought myself the coolest purse---new, not used.

The Nashville flea market is really good. I haven't been in a few years, but they have everything you could possibly want---new and used. Butch got 4 dozen golf balls (new) for 10 bucks. At that price, he can afford to lose them.

I've spent the afternoon cooking (did I mention that Steph is NOT a good cook?). I'm going on a scrapbook retreat tomorrow and needed to make my Tuesday night dinner. I made Connie's Chicken Pockets recipe (for tonight) and cooked extra chicken for Rotel Chicken. Got a little carried away with the chicken, so had enough to make 2 Chicken Almond Cheese Balls. At least the family won't starve while I'm gone.

Over the past couple weeks, I did manage to spend some time in my scrapbook room. That is such a stress reliever for me. I planned 12 layouts for our 1st Annual Family Scrapbook Retreat in October at KY Lake. Jeanne, Janet and Judy are coming this year. Chrissy can't make it, but I planned for her too. In addition, I planned another 20 layouts for myself---12 for this week and 8 for next week when I go to Cape Cod with my friends. I'll post some pictures when I get back.

Over and out....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.